Salsa in China Home|Salsa in China Store|Our Referral Day|Tools & Tips|Referral Statistics

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

News: Snail illness in Beijing

Ok, I know no one in my family is going to be ordering snails in China, but in case it's on the top of your "must eat" list, you might want to read this interesting story.

The article, "Beijing snail illness cases rise," from BBC News, said in part:


The number of people infected with meningitis after eating undercooked snails at a Beijing restaurant has risen to 87, Chinese media report. Most fell sick after eating fushouluo - a snail dish - at a restaurant specializing in Sichuan-style cooking.

The new cases emerged days after officials reported that 50 people had contracted meningitis from eating undercooked Amazonian snails. Sixteen of them were hospitalised in a critical condition.

On Wednesday, Chinese authorities appeared to narrow down the problem to one restaurant, which was not named.

9 Comments:

  • Thanks for the head's up. I think I'll be safe though. They only way I'd eat a snail would be by accident!

    By Blogger Wendy, at 12:48 AM  

  • Aghhhhh! reason 42 on why I won't be eating snails!

    By Blogger Meg, at 6:00 AM  

  • Ewwww... and thanks for the picture with it.

    By Blogger no name, at 7:52 AM  

  • LOL, you don't have to go to China to eat snails! There's lots of Chinese restaurants in S.F. that have them on the menu, too. Maybe we'll have to take you and Rod up there when you come back from Down under.

    By Blogger george, at 7:54 AM  

  • just kidding! i won't eat them either! but they do have them...

    By Blogger george, at 7:55 AM  

  • Those look disgusting. I hope you can live on just rice when you are in China...after that story you are going to have a hard time ordering anything not familiar!
    Good luck with that!
    Ha ha ha, Kim

    By Blogger Everyone Has a Story..., at 8:40 AM  

  • OK, I'm thinking rice and peanutbutter is sounding better.

    By Blogger Pat, at 8:45 AM  

  • The only time I have eaten a snail was in China at a banquet. There was no way around it. It was a chewey morsel that tasted strongly of oil and garlic. Now, I don't mind oil and garlic at all. Just keep the snails out of my oil and garlic!!

    By Blogger Basket full o' Plums, at 9:05 AM  

  • By the title I thought you were going to be posting about the CCAA slowing down.

    By Blogger Carrie, at 6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home